Labels

Wednesday 13 July 2011

A Moment of Calm

Work has been so incredably hectic for the last few days that in my lunch break I find myself searching for anything that can provide a moment of calm. It can be a beautiful print that you're drawn right into, a heartfealt blog that can carry you into a minute of excapism, or an object that whisks you away from your desk.

Today, and in fact also a few days ago when I first came across it, it was an object. These amazing lambs by Calabarte are true works of art, fashioned from hand grown gourds.

When unlit they look like amazing wooden sculptures:
But look what happens when you add light!


They're carved out to precisely the right depth to either block the light or allow it to translucentlyly glow through. They're then further carved and pierced to allow some light to escape, the intricate placement of this piercework throwing the most amazing fractal-esque light patterns on the walls and ceiling.


They're all individually handmade to order so not cheap (price on enquiry, I enquired and had the most lovely email back from the artist himself) but compared to the amount of love and labour that go in to each unique them they're cheap at half the price.

So now I'm imagining myself in my perfect library in my perfect house, washed all over by light patterns from one of these lamps. Throw a gin and tonic into this fantasy and now I'm very calm indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment