Labels

Wednesday 10 August 2011

Post (and) Script - Mini Obsession

Mini obsessions come and go in my life. I'm a great one for finding a beautiful item, style or genre, then obsessing over it untill I own at least one item falling in to that category (usually more than one).

One of the recent obsessions that seems to be having a resurgance in my conscious today is vitage postal ephemera, possibly sparked off by the Disaster Designs Dandy items I mentioned in a previous post. Despite the fact I've never been a good letter writer myself I'm compulsively drawn to images of vintage letters, postcards, stamps and postmarks as well as old-looking cursive handwriting. There's something so intriguing about old letters, the secrets and words of love they might contain.

So I'm going to vent my obsession here today in the hopes reliving a few loves, wants and makes will stop me buying anything new! There's the most amazing host of paper items out there with vintage postal prints, from notecards to swing tags to journal covers, but I think the items that work best in this theme are the non paper ones.
Printed fabrics are constantly top of my list of wants, for use with my hatmaking. The quality of fabric and print and the depth of detail in the designs, mostly seeming to come out of Korea and Japan, at the moment is astonishing. Most of my current collection comes from Etsy sellers RetroNaNa and Minnafabric, though given some extra pennies I'd definately snap up some pieces from Renees Fabrics. I could fill a whole post with amazing fabric prints (in fact, maybe I will at some point soon) but for now here's a little treasury of scripty style prints for you crafters:



Actually, that was a really bad idea as now I've found a bunch more fabrics and sellers to keep an eye on! Here's a couple of recent Chapeau Carmine creations vibing off the postal theme
This one's called Write me a Love Letter
and I called this one Meet me in Paris. Old romantic much? This one recently sold, but I have a new one made from the same fabric to be listed soon!

Searching around the subject on Etsy today (this is how all of my obsessions gain ground in my head) I found this amazing Postcards From Europe Corset Cincher by MidnightAgenda which I'm totally in want of (she has a vintage newspaper style one which is eaqually if nore more gorgeous):


There's also about a million really adorable pieces of jewellery around this theme, mostly of the scrabble tile or silver charm kind but this one by kvossdesigns has really caught my eye:


Now, I know I'm totally Etsy-centric and find most of my pretties through there (how cute is this airmail T-shirt, £35.90 with postage from Milatree)
 But it's not only the amazing crafters on Etsy who are feeding my postal frenzy (surruptitious drinking would feel so much more stylish with the Wanderlust flask, £15.10 from the gloriously named WhimsyandInk)    
OK, OK, enough Etsy.

I found these adorable business card holders on Not on the High Street (which I may well have to investigate more. A friend gets a lot of real bargains from there). 4 designs to choose from for £8.07 each
Or you can get the matching compact mirror for £9.50


This Silver Postcard charm is gorgeous too, and personalizable (is that a word?) with your own message for £55

 And finally one for the men: The Postcard Mighty Wallet for £11.99.

There are a lot of really cute zippy purses and pouches out there (made from some of the fabrics I listed above no less) but the Mighty Wallet has Mighty in the name, so it wins automatically.

Well, whaddayaknow. I may have managed to distract myself long enough by the finding of these things that I have no more time today in which to buy them. My bank balance can sleep safe for another night. One day closer to payday...

No comments:

Post a Comment